Every year over 20,000 people visit the ER because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is given off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the colder months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep your family safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with some tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Install a CO detector on each floor of your home and change the batteries yearly.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, at least three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, always check to verify the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces alone. Shut off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like concrete or tile. Keep kids and pets away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, buy a model that turns off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Don’t use a cooking range to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned annually.
The ultimate thing you can do for your heating system is to be sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your furnace tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Service Experts will check to ensure your furnace is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 901-235-1196 today and ask how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.