When rough weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your preparations worked.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets thrown around during bad weather. Just be sure you have turned the system completely off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a protected place so that they don’t get thrown around during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back outside, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Memphis, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other concerns that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for threatening weather in Memphis or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.