According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s most often associated with wood stoves, car engines, and other fire combustion sources along with gas or oil furnaces.
Why is Carbon Monoxide so important?
Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO exposure is a matter of life and death. CO is tops when ranking leading causes of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO poisoning have been known to be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and prolonged fatigue, among many others. This makes CO poisoning the invisible killer that needs to be taken seriously by every Memphis homeowner. Severe poisoning takes place from inhaling large concentrations of CO, but poisoning can also occur over many months or years. Some signs may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, and fatigue.
So what can you do?
- Buy a CO detector for each room of your home. You can contact Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
- Batteries should be checked on a consistent basis for existing CO detectors. It's also wise to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced a few of the symptoms stated above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning and get a second opinion if necessary.
- Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance each year to guarantee no carbon monoxide leaks are present at the start of heating season.
- If your furnace is approaching the end of its lifespan, consider a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a newer heating unit.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee the prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.