Spring is beautiful for many reasons: flowers are blooming, you can open windows for outdoor air and your utility bill is generally at its lowest. That’s because you’re not relying on your heater or cooling.
But as mercury begins to increase, so do your energy costs. Here are a couple of tips for saving energy in Memphis and keeping costs lower.
1. Schedule Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your air conditioning system an annual tune-up can help it operate more efficiently and lower costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep utility charges less expensive.
If your HVAC equipment has had better days, spring is a good time to replace it. The energy-saving technology in updated cooling systems is a huge benefit for keeping your utility charges down.
2. Lower Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on home comfort charges. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Focusing on how to expertly schedule your thermostat is the smartest way to cut down on energy expenses in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Think about it this way, the lower the difference between outdoor temperatures and inside temperatures, the cheaper your cooling cost will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a lot higher temperature or shut it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty house.
3. Experiment with Other Approaches to Cool Your House
You can try several other things to help keep your home comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no loss in comfort. Have your fan turn counterclockwise during the summer, which pushes cool air upward. This disperses cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it moves through windows. Keep your home cooler by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not staying in sunny rooms.
4. Think About Using a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and immediately realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you fret about it the full day!
Smart thermostats learn your habits and correct the temp when you’re out and about to help you save energy and money. You can also change the conditions from anywhere with your phone.
These professional tips will all help keep summer energy expenses down. If you conclude it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, call our team at 901-235-1196 or contact us online. We’ll help you find the correct product for your space. And as always, all our services are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.