Spring is beautiful for many reasons: flowers are blooming, you can open windows for outdoor air and your utility bill is usually at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not using your heater or cooling.
But as mercury begins to increase, so do your energy costs. Here are a couple of suggestions for saving energy in Memphis and keeping costs lower.
1. Book Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a yearly maintenance visit can help it operate more efficiently and reduce costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep utility expenses less expensive.
If your HVAC equipment has had better days, spring is an excellent time to replace it. The energy-saving technology in updated cooling systems is a huge benefit for keeping your utility bill down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on home comfort charges. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Figuring out how to expertly schedule your thermostat is the best way to cut down on energy expenses in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Think about it this way, the lower the difference between outdoor temperatures and indoor temperatures, the smaller your cooling cost will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a lot higher temperature or turn it off. There’s no reason to cool an empty home.
3. Experiment with Other Approaches to Cool Your Home
You can take advantage of several other things to help keep your home cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan move counterclockwise during the summer, which pushes cool air upward. This disperses cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it moves through windows. Keep your home cooler by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not staying in sunny areas.
4. Think About Getting a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and immediately realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you fret about it the full day!
Smart thermostats learn your habits and change the temp when you’re out to help you save energy and money. You can also change the conditions from anywhere with your phone.
These professional tips will all help keep summer energy expenses down. If you think it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, call our team at 901-235-1196 or contact us online. We’ll help you find the correct fit for your space. And like always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.