How much a new air conditioning, heating, or air filtration system will cost can vary quite a bit depending on a number of factors. These variables normally fall into a few categories:
- Lifestyle Factors:
- The health conditions of the home's occupants (allergies, respiratory issues, and sensitivity to surroundings)
- How the occupants "feel" comfortable (preference to cooler or warmer temperatures)
- Hobbies and activities happening inside the house (musical instruments, crafts, wine)
Building and Environmental Factors:
- The number, type, and size of windows you currently have, the direction the home faces, and age of the home
- Style of building, roofing, siding, ductwork, and quantity of insulation present
- Geographic climate, lot size, city regulations and surrounding environment including typical humidity, neighboring industries, available land, and codes required
- Utilities required or available; solar, geothermal, gas, electric, LP, oil
Contractor Risk Factors:
- Contractor licensing, insurance, bonding, and financial strength
- Legitimacy, skill, and certification level of the employees installing the heating and cooling systems
- Satisfaction Guarantees and service level (availability and commitment to customer priorities)
All of these factors and more help to determine the type, size, and level of work needed to properly heat and cool a home, which usually goes into the expense associated with the new system.
What Can You Expect to Pay?
Ranch or Smaller Residence
Up to 2000 square feet
1 or 1.5 Story
$40-$250 per month with approved financing, or $6,000 - $15,000
Average Suburban Home
2000-3500 square feet
$100-$500/month with approved financing, or $8,000 - $25,000
3500+ square feet
Various levels or highly custom
$250+ per month with approved financing, or $18,000 - $60,000+
Potential pricing may vary depending on geographic location, personal lifestyle, system settings, equipment maintenance and installation of equipment and duct system.
Since every home’s heating and cooling system must be completely custom created and installed, it is quite difficult for reputable contractors like Service Experts to offer a specific estimate without understanding all the factors on-site that are uncovered during an in-home comfort analysis. However, we can recommend broad ranges of the probable HVAC system price based on the general size of a home that isn’t yet 30 years old. It’s important to note that, even the price ranges above could vary much more, dependant on all the factors and circumstances of a certain home and homeowner.
How HVAC Systems Are Priced by the Manufacturer (MSRP)
Central heating and cooling systems are like vehicle classes. Systems usually fall into big (and sometimes misleading) ranges of "economy", "mid-level", and "premium". However, because every homeowner is unique, each new heating and cooling system is manually installed, and because of all the prior factors mentioned, the process and ultimate pricing of a heating and cooling system could be equated to selecting vehicle "Options."
Home Comfort Options
Home comfort Options include size and efficiency, and also include air quality control, such as the efficiency of air cleaners and air filters. Air quality control systems are essential for homeowners with infants and children, people in the home with allergy or respiratory concerns, or climate control issues that need humidification controls. Thermostat controls are also an important part of the home comfort puzzle, and a large choice of mobile and Wi-Fi options are out there.
Other home comfort choices include adding the required amount of insulation or redesigning, correcting, and cleaning ductwork to be sure the system operates efficiently. Some options can be bought as a package, but many of these items must be decided through a complete Home Comfort Analysis, which is a free service we provide.
All of these options must be through through very carefully, since the best air conditioner or furnace will never correctly control the comfort of the home if the duct work, attic insulation, or air filter is insufficient for the home and its inhabitants. To read more or get your complimentary Home Comfort Analysis, which includes your customized new system estimate, call 901-235-1196 now, or download our free eBook "Home Heating and Air Conditioning for Dummies".